This morning we found out that Jules was doing worse. His heart (right side) was enlarged from working too hard to push out all the extra fluid from his lungs. We were desperate to get the specialist from Children's hospital to take a look at him. We had been waiting two weeks and no specialist had been able to come to th UW NICU to see Julian.
Finally, this morning a pulmonologist was able to come. Scott and I rushed to the NICU to be there for the meeting (thanks to Mark Mendalow who was able to tell us the doc was on his way so that we could both be there in time and for calling to check and find out if/who/when someone was coming).
We were told that the only thing to try was an oral coarse of steroids. The doctor said he would not be surprised if they had no effect though. Julian's lungs are "stiff."
We asked whether Jules should be moved to the NICU at childrens so that he could be followed closely by the pulmonologists there. They decided to see if the steroids work and then consider moving him to Childrens if they don't.
The specialist also told us that Jules time remaining in the hospital would be measured by months, not weeks.