Monday, March 23, 2009

merrie's wedding

We (gigi, joy, scott) traveled to philadelphia for merrie's wedding this weekend. It was an agonizing decision, but we did it and we had a wonderful time.

In order to accomplish getting there, we came up with a plan to take care of Jules in our absence. We were particularly nervous given the preceding week's readmittance to the hospital, but we forged ahead thanks to our confidence in our home team:
Aunt Wendy - who drove eight hours from Oregon to stay in our house from thursday to sunday.
Heidi - Our fabulous nanny and expert on Julian's medical care who also moved into our house.
Deb and Susan - Our night nurses who picked up extra shifts to give Wendy and Heidi breaks
Dr. Emily - a lovely doctor who cared for Jules in both the UW and Childrens NICU and assisted with his bris, who came to visit Jules twice at home old fashioned house call style.
Keren, AKA Baby whisperer PT/OT from Children's who dropped in to visit.
Irene, who took the all day Sunday shift and who provided snacks and meals to heidi and wendy to make the weekend work well.

Thank you to everyone! Being able to attend Merrie's wedding was the greatest gift you could have given us and it was so very nice to have fun and celebrate such a meaningful and fabulous event. We came home to a healthier Jules and a tidier house than when we left. We were so excited to have made it to merrie's wedding and so glad you all made it possible for us to go.

Julian updates:
Today was his evaluation developmentally from the boyer clinic. Even though I knew he would be behind, it was hard for me to hear that he is at the two month level for communication and motor skills and something called adaptive skills. He qualifies for at home PT/OT and we are waiting to hear more about that. His emotional/social and cognitive levels were on par with a typical 4/5 month old.

Thank you again to everyone who made it possible for us to attend scott's sister's wedding. We danced all night and Gigi was an amazing flower girl. Lots of love to you all, Joy

4 comments:

Sally said...

I am so glad you got to have some fun! You needed that! Congratulations to Scott's sister. I met her only once but she was so kind and sincere.

How wonderful that you have so many loving and trustworthy friends to step in and cover your cares for a few days.

PT/OT is amazing. I have seen very young children benefit so impressively from good therapy. I hope that you will find a great therapist partner for Jules (maybe Keren?) to work with. It will be a blessing for all of you to have PT.

Please keep the updates coming. I was out of town for 4 days and I was eager to check your blog this evening to see what news! I'm so glad you got to have a good weekend and have some fun!

Anonymous said...

When was Jules' original due date? I thought it was in January, which would put him at two months adjusted, right?

Dave Glick said...

Toby was way behind in all of the skills when we came home from the hospital. He had early intervention from NW center (recommended second after Boyer) and he's way ahead now.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing but praise for early intervention programs. They can, and do, work wonderful miracles.