You have GOT To be kidding me!
Today, I discovered that I am the one percentile of american's capable of getting SHINGLES two times before they turn 35.
http://www.epigee.org/shingles.html
Unfortunately, as uncomfortable and painful as they are, it was an especially terrifying day for us because of jules. Too young to receive the chicken pox vaccination and at risk because of his birth weight, we scrambled with infectious disease specialists to come up with a plan for him. Since VZIG is no longer being manufactured, they decided to give him the same treatment I am getting, hoping that the anti-chicken-pox medication will give him a chance to fight it off. His best hope is to get the drugs withing 96 hours of exposure, so we are cutting it close.
I am allowed to touch him if I wear gloves and they would prefer minimal exposure. It will be a week or two before I can really interact with him again. I am very sad.
And to speak from my heart, I was really at the breaking point before this happened. I had a whole plan to discuss with scott extra nursing care because it has been so long since the two of us have been ever able to leave our house together and I am so exhausted from the cabin fever and the grueling regime of medical care for him.
The good news is that Jules did really well at OT today and is cleared for four bottles a day of three hours worth of food. So, this means we get to disconnect him from the feeding pump during the day! Yay! I am trying to focus on the positive and not direct any energy to my worries. Goodnight.
Joy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
OMG, I can't believe it. I'm so sorry. Big hugs.
I am so sorry, Joy. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I am just so sad you are going through this. I know you love Jules and each other, but taking care of a sick child is very hard work. You need to take breaks. I hope you will be able to get more nursing care and more time with each other and alone.
Just not fair. Hopefully we can visit in June, when school is out, give you a break and check in with Jules and Gigi and all of you guys.
Joy, so sorry! Someone is screwing up the karma - you all have earned about fifty years and five lifetimes of perfect health, I think.
Am thinking of you and wish I could do more. I have the miles for a free trip and was thinking of coming in the summer again, if you would like that.
BTW, the last comment was me, Laura T- I'm accidently logged in via my secret teacher-blogging alter ego!!
This is Tom (a coworker also with a preemie at 26 weeks)! Today I found out that I also got shingles!! Aghhh!
btw - I'm always following your blog but this is the first time I'm leaving a comment ... wish you all the best!
Post a Comment