Here are the facts:
He has been hospitalized for 135 days today. He is inching up on nine pounds.
Four weeks ago, the attending on at the time thought we would be home in two weeks.
The attending after her (two weeks ago now) thought it would be at the very least seven weeks from his watch.
The last attending started his week last Sunday telling me Jules had no reserve and was treading water, but when he checked out this week from rotation, told me Jules would be going home in a week or two.
The new attending has gently indicated that our new reputation at the hospital is of the parents who are too scared to take our perfectly stable baby home. He believes a week or two and Jules will be ready to go home with his oxygen tank, his feeding tube through his nose, and they will have trained scott and I how to admister the continuous drip of food and numerous medications.
So, for all you loyal readers out there who have been along the ride with us, please weigh in with a date you think he will come home. A special prize goes to whomever is correct and we look forward to celebrating with you all when that day comes.
Goodnight,
Joy
9 comments:
March 23
Can't wait to celebrate. Whenever that is it will be the right day. That's my bet.
3/6/09
3/9/09
I hope he is home by then!
March 12
I hope you can leave soon just to be rid of these people. Calling you guys overly nervous when Jules had a pCO2 in the high 70s not two weeks ago? You've got to be kidding me.
What does his pediatrician say? I don't like this arrangement of a new doctor seemingly every other day getting acquainted with Jules. I pray that you find one doctor who remembers Jules is his patient and you are his employer.
When our children were hospitalized, no matter who the nurse was for that day/shift, it was clear which doctor would ultimatley read/approve all reports and orders. Every single day a doctor from our doctor's practice spoke with us -- if we happened not to be at the hospital at the time of the visit, we simply called the practice -- our doctor was always accessible to us.
I am quite frankly very angry at the way you are being treated. Your son is a human being, an infant having some health and related developmental setbacks. You deserve the utmost respect for the emotions you are undoubtedly wrestling with, and you deserve to have every last one of your daily questions answered.
I'll take Feb 28, 3:00 pm
He will go home when he's good and f'ing ready.
Post a Comment