Saturday, February 14, 2009

asking for help

Hi,

Asking for help is not something we are good at doing around here. But, after 127 days of Jules in the hospital, we are struggling to keep things going well in our home. Four months of hospital time and potentially another four months ahead of us is quite daunting. 

If you are one of the nice people who offered to make a meal for us and I told you we didn't want help for meals until he came home from the hospital... I was wrong! We have changed our minds and would love your help now.

If you are someone who might like to break my social isolation and can visit from 10am-11:30am in Julian's room or for lunch at the hospital at noon, I would LOVE to see you.

If your name is Jeremiah and you have offered to cook, clean, visit, prune the yard etc... but I have never responded to any of your emails, I am SO Sorry. You are amazing and awesome and I apologize for not being able to schedule or plan anything. To deal with my inability to use my phone in the hospital and my desire to snatch any sleep at home when I can, (hence the lack of use of my phone at home too), my friend Irene came up with the idea of a Google Calendar.

Here is how you can help. We would like help Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursday nights for dinner. Our good friend Irene has created a google calendar where you can sign up to drop off dinner at our house in a cooler on our front porch or sign up for visiting at the hospital.

Please go to:
Email =  silvers.calendar
Password = madronahome

If you look at a weekly or monthly view of the calendar, you will be able to see what days we need help in the form of meals or friendly visits.

Here is the last bit of info:
Meals:
We keep somewhat kosher, as in no pork/ham/pig products or shellfish. We eat poultry, salmon/cod/halibut, beef and lamb. We don't eat meat and milk cooked together, like chicken in a cream sauce or beef with buttered noodles or a cheese burger. If you don't have a high degree of kosher familiarity, the easiest is to cook stuff with vegetables, pasta, fruits, eggs, or fish, which can be cooked with either meat or milk. 
And we don't eat mushrooms or bell peppers.

Visiting:
You are not permitted to visit Children's hospital if you have any symptoms of any illness and should not come if you think you might have a cold, or until 48 hours after you have finished being sick. When you come, you will need to wash your hands a lot and use a bunch of purell gel.

Thank you to everyone who has offered to help and to Irene for arranging this way to help.

Goodnight and Happy Valentines Day! 
Joy




4 comments:

Unknown said...

we would love to help by sending a meal. Please let me know of any place in your area that might deliver. call, e mail or have grand pop and mom mom let us know what to do. Our thoughts are always with you guys LOVE R and N

Prof. T. said...

Hey Joy -

Will be getting in Wednesday night - you can email or text your address so I can take a cab to your place. Will be available for the hospital most days I'm there.

Hope you're hanging in there; am thinking of you.
Love
Laura

Sally said...

Asking for help is good! When others get to serve you, they grow from the experience. It brings us joy to help others. I deeply wish I lived next door to you, I would be so happy if I could help you.

mbraslow said...

Scott and Joy,

I am in town for work, and would love to come by and visit and bring you guys dinner on Friday. I was thinking of just bringing some take out, but I want to make sure I meet the dietary requirements.

I want to bring a nice meal...a well deserved treat! I can bring anything you would like from the Metropolitan Grill...don't be shy, order something nice! Please follow this link, to see the dinner menu, and let me know what I should pick up, any special request, and what time works best for your guys friday evening. You can reach me by e-mail, through the blog, or on my cell phone at 303-641-9569.
http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/pdf/MetDinner0124.pdf

-Matthew