Monday, February 2, 2009

good weekend

Julian has been stable all weekend. His CO2 numbers have stayed in the mid 50s (53 on Monday AM). We reduced the flow of oxygen he's been getting to 1 1/4 liters from 1 1/2 liters. This takes us on a path where he could move to the medical floor from the intensive care unit.

That's a picture of him during his second bath of the weekend. Julian is about 6 weeks old "corrected" now and so we've started to adjust to this by thinking about getting him on a schedule. Developmentally-speaking, he does well at tummy time, lifting his head and turning it from side to side. He also follows us with his eyes and shows signs of smiling when we smile at him.

Gigi, Joy and Nana are all in Disneyland visiting with the Princesses. I spent the weekend with Jules and some visitors. One of the nice things about Children's is that they have wireless access. This means that I have been able to use video chat (google's) so folks could see Julian. The future has arrived.

On a humorous note, I received a bill for about $450K from UW Medical Center. The rack rate for the NICU is about $4600 a day. And that doesn't even come with wireless access!

3 comments:

Mike Meyer said...

I visited with Jules and Scott over the weekend. Jules looks really good -- a proper baby, lifting his head, looking out the window, and enthralled with his high-contrast mobile. It was a treat to see him developing so well.

Jen said...

He looks so awesome! He doesn't even have much of a toaster head! I remember when we got our $490K bill from UW, made us laugh too. "Let me just write you a check..."

Janine said...

Is that your co-pay or does your insurance not cover NICU for some reason? I am horrified that you are being asked to fork over that kind of money. Maybe we could put in a provision in the bailout package to help out people with premature children.